Monday, May 28, 2007

I'm 33, she's 19. Can it work?

QUESTION:

I am 33, dating a girl of 19. We get along well and share the same dreams/goals. I buy her clothes, take her on trips, cook for her and do her laundry. It got to a point we were feeling like a married couple. I liked that. She too it seemed. Now she wants to break it off and be with other men. I don't want that. What should I do to save this?

ANSWER:

Forget her! Come over and cook/do laundry for me. Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Okay, in all seriousness, she’s too young for you and you know it. Of course she wants to see other men. It’s called “sowing your wild oats”. Most people have to go through it and this is the age when she should be doing it. She’s probably only been dating for a few years, so she wants to explore the world and see what else is available. In the process she will grow and become an adult.

Attempting to hold onto her would be futile. She would eventually start to resent you. Remember, if you love someone, set them free. It’s not just a song but a universal truth. If you give her the space she needs, she may eventually decide you’re the one she wants to be with. If you try to hold on, she will definitely decide you’re not the one she wants to be with.

No comments: